Carlos Grant Williams

Appointed an Agronomist in 1903, Dr. Carlos Grant Williams served as Chief of the Agronomy Department of the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station from 1906 until he became Director in 1921. During his years of research, he originated three new varieties of wheat. In 1922, Director Williams organized the Experiment Station into ten departments, including agronomy, animal industry, botany, chemistry, dairying, entomology, farm management, forestry, horticulture and soils. His career as Director was marked by significant growth in land and facilities by increased cooperation with the College of Agriculture and with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. After his retirement the Board of Control named the Agronomy Building "Williams Hall" in his honor. He was a member of the American Society of Agronomy and served as President in 1925-1926.