Ohio Columbus (O.C.) Barber

Ohio Columbus (O.C.) Barber, (1841-1920) a pioneer in Ohio agriculture, was one of the first in the United States to apply scientific and business practices to agriculture. Between 1909 and 1912, he erected 35 permanent stone and brick farm buildings in the Beaux Arts style of architecture on the Anna Dean Farm, near Barberton, Ohio. These buildings joined the 67 existing wooden structures that spread out over 3,500 acres.

The Anna Dean Farms set world records in 1915 with one Guernsey cow producing 24,008 pounds of milk, with 4.5% butter fat. The farm included 30,000 hens, 50,000 ducks and separate departments for swine, pedigreed dogs and Belgian stallion horses. His farm also included oats, corn for silage, hay and a wide variety of flower, vegetables and fruits. He employed two Mennonite brothers named Yoder who worked with him on the greenhouse business. That business is now well known as the Yoder Brothers, one of the world's largest rooted and unrooted cuttings for the floral industry. 

He also founded the city of Barberton, Ohio, a number of industrial companies such as the Diamond Match Company, the Diamond Rubber Company (later merged with B.F. Goodrich) and the original Akron City Hospital.

Amazingly, he started the Anna Dean Farm operations after his retirement at the age of 65 and devoted his last 24 years to the farm and the promotion of agriculture in the U.S.